Wednesday, October 1, 2008

And the earth did NOT devour him

I am posting my blog a bit late, and being honest I haven’t had a chance to finish the Rivera’s book yet, but I look forward to it!

I find Rivera’s writing style easier to follow than that of Martí’s, and so I’ve enjoyed reading “Y no se lo tragó la tierra”. Rivera writes in such a way that enables the reader to feel like they are part of the story; like an invisible character that is able to see all that is going on, while also being able to understand the hearts of the characters. This particular style of writing captures the reader’s attention but at the same time it can create an avenue for frustration; that which I am about to explain. In some ways I wish I could have an actual role in this story...one that could be a constant echo of support and encouragement to this poor boy who works so hard to be accepted. I get so upset that the efforts made by the protagonist to achieve success, and gain acceptance are so often thwarted, unappreciated and crushed. I think it bothers me so much because the boys’ reality is not just an example of life in the past, but one that so many kids of today’s society struggle with.

So as I read, I wonder, will the protagonist ever be able to come to grips with the world around him and be able to rise above it and succeed in his efforts to achieve acceptance as well as some of his other life goals? I hope so, and my reason for this hope is in the title which states that “ and the earth did NOT devour him”...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that this reading is much easier than the Martí reading. However I differ with you in the sense that I did not feel the writing style of the author captured me and made me feel as though I should be a character in the story. I felt almost alienated because at certain times I did not know who was who. Although this technique did not make me feel as if I were in the story, it did capture my attention and made me want to keep reading. But, I did feel an urgency while reading to motivate the little boy and to help him feel accepted.