Sunday, September 14, 2008

THE END ?!?

Well I am going to have to say that I agree with the “forewarning” given to us in regards to the end of this big pink non-tedious book! Although I thoroughly enjoyed most of the novel, the incredibly anticlimactic ending, I did not. I guess, in order to give Ruiz de Burton a bit of credit, it was somewhat appropriate for her to have ended this work in a discussion of politics as it is one of the larger themes here...but still...I couldn’t believe that the last pages were devoted to my least favourite part of the book. It was such a monotonous dialog between the ranting and raving Cackles, with only about a page given to wrap up the lives of Julian and Lola. (And on a side note I thought that the irony of their reunion was kind of cheesy with Julian needing to be by Lola’s side in order to cure her love sick heart. It was obviously a parallel to the time when she left Washington to come to Julian’s bedside so as to also save his love sick heart.)

Anyways, I had been looking forward to reading about whether or not there was going to be any resolution between the Dr. and Mrs. Norval. Instead however, Mrs. Norval is able to avoid the whole confrontational mess by simply checking out, and giving in to her insanity. In the meantime we aren’t given any details as to what becomes of the Doctor after he arrives back from Africa, nor do we learn of his reactions to the entire escapade...including those toward the abominable actions of his old “friend” Hackwell.

Despite all of my critique towards the latter portion of this book, I will mention one thing that I was quite amused with: the punishment of shame and embarrassment met by the ex-reverend after realizing his defeat and that his chances of being with Lola were eliminated. This important and entertaining victory, in my opinion, gave some aid in ameliorating Ruiz de Burton’s ending, but it definitely was not enough to prevent the utter boredom that was inflicted upon the reader in the final pages of this book.

1 comment:

valerie voikin said...

hey, i have to completely agree about the last few pages...they were so bad that i had to speed read through them...you know like reading two sentences per page. haha...and also the ending between lola and julian was cheesy...a lot of the book was cheesy so it sort of makes it ok. what wasnt good though is how Mrs. Norval just went crazy..way to end a book on such a bad note considering mrs. norval was probably the most hardheaded woman in the book.